Tuesday, November 24, 2009

to baby or not to baby....

Well. Most of this new- found, aforementioned time has been absorbed with swine flu- me and two out of three kids. Before that I was finishing training for a big triathlon, then the husband and I went away for our anniversary and to do said triathlon. So here we are in November and I'm wondering where this time has gone. Where it is going. This may sound completely irrational, but the last few weeks (the last few years, really, but it comes and goes) I have been consumed with the question of whether or not we should have another baby. I know. Wait til three kids are in school all day and then start over. Great plan, huh? I can go in circles with this one, trust me.

All the reasons why it makes total sense: having ONE baby at home, having big kids to help, being young enough to not be sure I'm ready for that part of my life to be over... blah blah. And I'm one of those gals who (mostly) loves being pregnant, loves natural birth and labor and nursing and holding teeny fresh new things all day. However, the part of me that has been waiting for 8+ years to get back to creating on a regular basis, back to art and some semblance of order, some solitude to cultivate creativity and spiritual health and sanity, to be able to give the fabulous three I already have the individual attention they need, well, that part of me says "hold on lady! Those cute babes get big and turn into preschoolers who throw fits for years on end and interrupt you when you are trying to do just about anything and what about the other parts of yourself that you were created to express? It's not just about having a baby, you would have a whole new person! What about how your pelvis hurts so badly with PSD when you are pregnant that you can barely walk, much less run like you need to? And what if all this is just a distraction? an easy way to avoid putting ourself out there with photography or writing. And (drumroll please) REMEMBER SLEEP DEPRIVATION?" Oh yeah, that. My babies didn't sleep through the night for years.

Buuuuuut on the other hand.... having some perspective (OK, not much) with kids in the kindergarten and elementary years, I know how fast it goes. Such a small sacrifice, relatively speaking. Such a huge blessing. From this same distance, the baby lust sounds like this "oh, what's a few more years of your life waking up at all hours, chasing around toddlers, changing diapers, spoon-feeding, being confined to your house for naps every afternoon, etc?" And really that doesn't sound all that bad. But I need to look beyond that a bit to see that it is adding a whole new person to our family. Forever. It is adding a whole new person to consume resources and emotional and physical energy. It may mean not even excercising for months on end. Taking a break from triathlon, from the training that helps me feel balanced and healthy and strong. Someday there may be four kids talking with their spouses about where they will spend Thanksgiving. And someone may say to that youngest one "You always got what you wanted! Mom and Dad gave you so much more than we got. Stop acting like the baby of the family." Now I am imagining my future unborn child in therapy.

Truthfully, I think the options are grieving that my baby years are over until I have grandkids, or grieving the loss of certain freedoms that come with your kids' independence. When I step back and see it all, I'm really fine either way...but I also know that our life is FULL and the kids I have need me to be more present. See how I'm not really getting anywhere with this.

No comments: